Wednesday, October 11, 2023

New journey

It has been a very long time since I last wrote and I have been itching to got back at it. It is incredible what can happen over the course of a year.

Since I last wrote Luke has turned 2 (0n December 22) and has grown and changed so much. So have I. After I made my last entry my sweet sister, Lisa passed away having endured life with ovarian cancer and Luke went through surgery #2. Last year was a rough one. As usual, I couldn't stay sad for long. I live with a kid filled with perpetual energy and sunshine. I also have a large family that needs a mom who's available to them. I have an amazing sense of peace knowing that my sister is free of a body that stopped working well for her long ago. She was incredible and her spirit lives on in the wisdoms she passed along to me.

So, the post is new journey. I feel a little nervous to put this out there so I suppose I'll be a little vague until things are in full swing. I have two loves and interests right now. The first, childbirth education, has been a love of mine for a while. Helping a couple prepare to be a family is an incredible thing. My second love is fairly new. A little over 2 years actually and happened when a little blond haired, blue eyed boy was born and changed my life forever and opened my eyes to the world of advocacy for those children with special needs and the families who get to love them. I'm excited to marry the two together and provide childbirth education for families who are expecting a child with Down syndrome.

Currently 9 of 10 women pregnant with a baby who has Down syndrome will chose to terminate. 9 of 10. Let that sink in. Now, go look at a picture of Luke. I'll wait while you smile at how cute he is....see? Isn't he beautiful? I'm not going to lie to you. Mike and I were lost when we first got the diagnosis. LOST. This was not the baby we were expecting. So for the families that know ahead of time and choose not to terminate but forge on ahead into what can seem like a scary place, I am hoping to provide a supportive and educational environment for them to prepare for this new little person. I want them to know that they aren't alone. To know that they are on a journey like any other and that there are lights along the way to help them navigate. Mostly, to help them embrace this little new bundle with love, affection and nurturing just like they would any other baby. Because, honestly, they are just like any and every other little baby. Pink, soft, sweet and in need of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment