Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Birthday Surprise for Liam!





Today is Liams 10th birthday.
When I asked him what he would like for his birthday, he told me he wanted his baby brother to come home from the hospital. Sweet, huh? I told him that that wouldn't happen until Friday.
This morning I knew that I would be doing training at the hospital so I would be prepared to take care of Luke at home. I brought his car seat along to do an oxygen saturation test to make sure he would be okay on the car ride home. I scrubbed in and went to his bedside where I was met by his nurse, Anna. She looked at me and said, " Looks like you are ready to take your boy home! Would you like to today?" UM, YEAH!!!

So, I did all of the training I needed to do--infant CPR, how to watch for signs that something is wrong, etc. The docs performed the last echo cardiogram to check on the fluids that had been around his heart and lung. All of the fluids were gone, the valve that was still leaky had gotten a bit better. And by 4:00pm I packed my sweet blue eyed boy into his car seat and we drove off to face rush hour traffic together.

There will be many follow up visits, that goes with the territory. But, my baby being home with me is about the sweetest feeling ever.

I called home to let the kids know that I was bringing home a surprise for Liam's birthday. I called Mike to say the nurses had given me a gift to give the birthday boy. I loved seeing everyone's face when they saw Luke home. Liam asked if we got to keep him or if he had to go back. I hope he never has to go through anything like this again.

As a side note, I LOVED the staff at Children's. They were all so amazing at their jobs. His nurses were so dedicated to us and helping us through the most difficult times and cheering on his successes. Thank you is just not enough to say.

The pics above are of Luke getting his last lead removed and him at home, where he belongs. Oh, and the big 10 year old, Liam. All photos taken by Mikey. Thanks, bud.
I'm not done with this blog thing. Stay tuned for more tales of the mob. The Edlinger Mob.



5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Liam and Anneliese. Kinney we are happy God has been watching out for you with all your "close calls". I love the pic of Luke smiling, ADORABLE! I loved your posts, you are the perfect Mom for Luke. You have a wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HIP HIP HOORAY! LUKAS IS HOME FOR LIAM'S BIRTHDAY! Prayers are answered, Doctors and Nurses at Childrens are amazing (a gross understatement - what a dedicated group of caring and loving people). Spring has sprung and hope and renewal are all around us. We are so grateful.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! So glad to hear he is home. He is an amazing little guy. Can't wait to hold him again=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why kinney, but this post made me cry, not with saddness but with joy. You are turly blessed with your children, they love each other and want nothing but to be together for a birthday. that is so sweet. You have helped give me new insight to my life and to be happy. Thank you for sharing this all with us, it help us too.

    ReplyDelete