Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Get Ready, JUMP.

Well, we made it through the day! A day of ECG's, Echo cardiograms, X-Rays, blood tests and meetings with the nurses. Oh, and the uplifting tour of the PICU (pediatric intensive care unit). Note the facetious undertones. Pre-op visits are interesting to say the least

All in all the day was not that bad. As you can see from the picture above, Luke was even wearing green in honor of St. Patricks day. That did not, however, keep him from getting poked, prodded and pinched. I tried to explain to him that our actual purpose in going today was just that--poking, prodding and pinching. Poor kid! Actually, Luke was calm as usual even as the phlebotomist used him as a pincushion trying to get enough blood for all of his tests. His blood clots really fast making him a hard draw.

We will go to Childrens Hospital at 9:00am tomorrow and check in. After a meeting with the surgery team they will take my sweet boy from me and go fix his broken heart. I was so glad to have the defect explained to me in terms I could actually understand. Sarah Scott, the cardiac RN in charge at CHO (accronym for the hospital) expained it to me in terms of construction. I FINALLY understood how it all works! Or in Luke's case, how it doesn't :(

So, back to my previous cliff metaphor.... Here I am now edged closer and about to jump. I'm ready and so is Luke. Here we go.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck, Luke! I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking of you and your little Luke! Take Care and thanks for sharing these special experiences with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our thoughts are with you all at this time, I know that it must not be easy for you to be seprated from your baby. May God watch over and bless him and the docotrs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing and truly an elect mother. God bless! We love you guys! Thumbs up Luke!

    ReplyDelete